Tuesday 1 September 2015

Strictly: The Interviews: The Women

And next the women, again a press scrum and conveyor belt but hey

First is Eastenders Linda Carter, Kellie Bright
Why are you taking part in Strictly Come Dancing this year?

I’ve always wanted to do Strictly, it’s been a secret desire and I love dancing! When I was a little girl I loved dancing so much and now to have the opportunity to dance again and also learn something new because I’ve never done any Ballroom or Latin before or even danced with a partner. It was just too good an opportunity to miss and I’m going to be 40 next year and I said ‘why not do this before I turn 40?’ It seemed like a good challenge at this point in my life.

Have you any previous dance experience?
I went to the Sylvia Young Theatre School so I danced throughout my school life. When I was younger, dancing was my life, I loved it so much but I started acting when I was nine so as soon as that kicked off, the dancing took a back seat. I have a basic knowledge of dancing which I’m sure will help me on Strictly but it’s been 23 years since I left school so I don’t know what I’m capable of. The biggest challenge will be my bendiness because I’m not naturally a bendy person and even as a child I couldn’t do the splits so if I can manage to do the splits by the time I leave Strictly I’ll be a very happy lady!

What will be your biggest challenge during Strictly?
My biggest challenge is going to be all the other things going on in my life outside of Strictly - I have a family, I have a full on job at EastEnders that can be long hours and I’m doing a huge renovation to our house so I will be micro-managing all of them! Also feeling like I’ve got enough time to give everything my all because I don’t want to feel like I’m letting EastEnders down and I don’t want to feel like I’m letting Strictly down so I don’t think there’s going to be much time for sleeping.

Have you been given any advice ahead of the show?
I talked to Emma Bunton about taking part in Strictly because she’s a really good friend of mine. She said it was amazing and one of the best things she’s ever done. There have been lots of people at EastEnders who have taken part in Strictly and anyone I have spoken to have all said how much they loved it. I’ve not heard one person say a bad thing about it!

Next Kirsty Gallacher

Why are you taking part in Strictly Come Dancing this year?
I’m taking part because I absolutely love the show, I always have and always thought ‘oooh wouldn’t it be fun to do?’ It’s exciting and I love a challenge! I’m quite sporty and fit but this is a very different discipline and it’s not something that I’ve done since I was a little girl when I did some Tap and Ballet. Everyone always tells me how amazing Strictly is so I couldn’t really say no!

Which judge do you want to impress the most and why?
It would have to be Craig because he’s damning really isn’t he? I don’t want him to say ‘you are a disaster!’ He’s quite cross, I think the other judges are a little bit kinder and see the fun in it but Craig expects it to be correctly done.

What will be your biggest challenge during Strictly?
Getting over the nerves, having the confidence and not pulling faces when it goes wrong! It’s important not to give the game away because usually the public at home won’t necessarily know when I’ve done something wrong and I might need to ad lib a little bit so that will be hard. I am also quite competitive with sport but dancing is a bit unknown to me so I don’t know my limitations yet and I don’t want to let my partner down. It would be a dream to win it but I’m not expecting that, maybe to get in the last four would be amazing!

Have you been given any advice?
Caroline Flack is a friend of mine and she said the whole experience is an adventure and life-changing. Gabby and Kenny Logan said the same and said it’s such a great journey, you have got to be a part of it and you will love it!

Finally for now Jamelia

Why are you taking part in Strictly Come Dancing?
I'm a huge fan of the show and I remember particularly watching last year and seeing Alison Hammond having an absolute ball and I thought, ‘do you know what, I want in!’ So I did it and here I am! Plus all of my aunties and my Nan have been telling me to do Strictly Come Dancing for years!

What is your previous dance experience?
The experience I have is working with a choreographer for my pop videos but what any other pop artist will tell you, it’s a lot of smoke and mirrors. I wouldn't rate myself highly, I am not the most confident of dancers but I love dancing and if dancing in my kitchen counts I'm very, very experienced!

What will be your biggest challenge during Strictly?
My biggest challenge I think is going to be learning the routines. When I was doing music videos I would rehearse relentlessly because I would always forget the steps. So that is something I haven't done for years, so getting back to the swing of learning routines, particularly for new styles such as Salsa, I am petrified but also really looking forward to it. The advice I’ve been given from my daughters is that I need to remember to stretch - they have been so supportive and excited!

What are you looking for in a dance partner?


I want a dance partner who is patient and will make me laugh, because I like laughing and definitely someone who will be willing to push me. I think it is going to require a lot of hard work and all my attention but I am definitely willing to do it. I am competitive but I also feel that I need to be able to be confident and I would love to reach the final and even more, I’d love to lift the Glitter Ball trophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, to ensure nothing offensive is posted we moderate all comments but this is usually done very quickly