Tuesday 1 September 2015

Strictly: The Interviews: The Men

Over the last couple of days we have been able to catch up, briefly with some of the stars of the upcoming new series of Strictly.. All a bit conveyor belt at the press launch but.. First up the men..

Here we had a brief chat with Peter Andre...

Why are you taking part in Strictly Come Dancing this year?
It is the best show on telly and I have always wanted to take part in Strictly. I love performing on stage but this is a whole new area of dance, I have a lot to learn. I’m looking forward to impressing the judges, they are excellent at their craft and any criticism they give you is usually constructive.

What are you looking for in a dance partner?
I want someone who will be strict with me but will also have fun and enjoy our training. My biggest challenge is going to be remembering the moves as they are so technical and I wouldn't want to let my partner down.

Are you a competitive person?
I thought I wasn’t but I must be because I am very focused. I think the competition is more with myself and to prove whether I can still move like I did 20 years ago? Haha! But everyone always tells me to enjoy the experience as the whole thing will come and go very quickly.

Who will be supporting you during Strictly?
Hopefully all my family will come down to watch me dance and my kids are big fans of the show!

Next up was Daniel O Donnell

Why are you taking part in Strictly Come Dancing this year?
I love the show and it’s going to be a great challenge for me. When I have been asked before, I could never do it due to my busy schedule but this year I decided to take a break from touring and I was finally able to say yes! I’m excited about taking part and I just hope I can get the steps together on the dance floor.

What will be your biggest challenge during Strictly?
Remembering the steps! When I dance on stage during my shows, I am never on the same spot two nights on a row so I obviously have to be a little bit more choreographed for Strictly and remember to be at the right place at the right time. I just hope I can remember everything and keep the energy up.

Who will be supporting you during Strictly?
I could have the whole of Ireland come down and support me! But my wife, friends and family will be there every week to cheer me on.

Are you a competitive person?

Yes! I want to win at golf and I want to win at cards so I’m sure I will want to win at dancing. I want to go as far in the competition as I’m good enough to go and if that’s all the way then I will be thrilled!

Then Jeremy Vine

Why are you taking part in Strictly Come Dancing this year?
I turned 50 this year and although I’m not a natural dancer, I realised this is the time to do stuff you don’t naturally want to do. One of the key moments for me as a non-dancer was at a wedding and there were about a hundred couples and we were all dancing in a rubbish way and then suddenly this pair of 30-something’s came on the dancefloor and did an amazing Rumba or Salsa and I thought I want to be able to do that. That was 15 years ago and now I’ve decided I really want to learn to dance too.

Have you ever danced before?
I danced in suspenders for Children in Need as a ‘Rocky Horror’ take-off with BBC News presenters Andrew Marr, Sophie Raworth and Michael Buerk. I have also done a lot of 80’s-style disco dancing, where you move your arms as if you are trapped in a lift, but the most moving thing that ever happened to me, was when I was a correspondent in South Africa and about 20 grannies asked me to dance with them during a Nelson Mandela event and they were awesome in the way they moved, I just got caught in the moment and forgot all my British inhibitions.

Have you been given any advice or helpful tips?
The tip I’ve been given by most people is to enjoy it. My wife thinks that sometimes the journalist in me - and this is a classic journalist thing - is that you tend to get very mission focused so you’re here to do something, you’ve got to get the story, broadcast it and then you go home. However Strictly isn’t really necessarily about the end product, it’s about the journey. My wife will be nervous watching me on Strictly, my eldest daughter is ready to be extremely embarrassed by her dad but my younger daughter is very excited and will be screaming at the TV!

How far do you hope to make it in the competition?

I would like to get to at least one tense moment in the competition but I am so polite, I will just wave the others past me on their way to the trophy and later think to myself, I wanted that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, to ensure nothing offensive is posted we moderate all comments but this is usually done very quickly