Thursday 4 September 2014

Argos Online: Supremely Inept..An ongoing saga

Argos Online, well where to start, with their glossy ads, their promise of style, of value. To be fair they never promise they will deliver the fucking thing though...

Now this is the anthology of events. We have been asked to write a feature for a major national newspaper. We reserve judgement until this has had a chance to be resolved.

We also will allow Argos the right of reply..

July 25 2014, we order a new dining room set. Its going to be delivered on Tuesday 19th August, within a six hour window because in this day and age of GPS tracking its the best Argos can do.

July 26 2014, my wife books 19th August off work and books our 5 month old son into childcare as it was thought best to have him off the premises in case they deliver mid feed or such..

August 19 2014
10.30am
Todays the day, our old dining table and chairs are collected by the charity shop and between 12pm and 6pm we get our new one. Anytime now we get our call to say it will be delivered in an hour..
13.00hrs
My wife rings me, she has a feeling it isn't coming, don't be silly say I, its early yet
16.00hrs 
She rings again, still that feeling, she asks, will I ring them and check, No say I. Its coming, only 2 hours to go..
17.30hrs 
It hasnt arrived, I am home. I check on line. It says my order isnt scheduled, At all. I ring them. Oh yes its coming, let me check and ring you back, find out where it is.
17.45hrs
Its not coming, it never was coming, it wasnt even on the wagon. it wasnt even in the warehouse, not even in the country. Argos rang me yesterday to tell me. I check my phone log, no missed calls. What number do you have I ask.. they tell me, its not my number, But then they admit, they never rang at all. Oh dear.


I ask when we can actually expect to get a dining table etc as we are currently without.. Erm,,,
it seems the item is discontinued and no longer available, Its still showing on line though to order. Go figure.

So in the next 24hrs we have a right old ding 
dong and we settle for being able to select another set, even slightly more and they would carry the cost as a gesture of good will.

We pick another set and it does indeed cost more....not that much so we check thats ok.
We ask the twitter jockey from argos helpers to read back and tell us its ok.
The twitter jockey say yes but there will be an extra £XX to pay as there is a price difference.
Yes say we, thats the gesture previously discussed.
We go around in circles for a while before agreeing the purchase.
Then we talk delivery.
Six hour slots no longer work for us.
Its all Argos do so we settle on a six hour slot, getting narrowed to two hours via text the night before and to one hour before delivery. Its coming September 5.

September 4 2014 

41 days since ordering and you will perhaps understand my lack of faith in Argos. I raise the twitter jockey and check I am getting a text tonight to narrow the deliver slot.
Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow says the jockey...
Ok fair enough and I settle in for the night.

But then...


No idea who John is, but again claiming they tried to ring. They didnt, no missed calls at all. But it gets worse...



another stock issue. Does this item exist I wonder... but they arent especially sorry at another on delivery.

So we tell them, not called Dave, no missed call, what number are you ringing..





and so to the 5th September...
We arranged for argos to ring me Friday morning...morning to me means before 12 noon. I know...picky aren't I. So when 12 noon comes and no call arrives I of course ask why. 

The response. ..a rather terse...We never offered a timescale for the call...er yes you did. 

A call is due any time now...Unlike my furniture. It's 13.21....

So at 13.50 I got a call from a trying to be helpful resolutions manager. We rearranged deliver and as she said she would personally supervise this order and its dispatch, we accepted a morning slot with a call from her the day before narrowing it right down.

Now then, can we talk turkey, compensate us for all this ball-ache... sure, two options £50 cash or £80 argos vouchers. Hmmm, I really don't want to spend another penny with Argos so its a no to the vouchers and £50 comes nowhere near what its cost us  so I rejected both. OK she said, lets get this delivered then we will make a final offer.

Well in the meantime, I had contacted the Chief Executive of the Home Retail Group, to whom Argos belong. I gave him a brief outline and pointed him here to this blog.

Within an hour his office rang me back, asked me a couple of questions, wanted to see if he could hurry the delivery up. He then made an offer which was worse than the one previously made and said so. Then the biggie came...I wont reveal the detail but lets just say I was very happy with it! 

Any problems that Argos cant, wont solve then google the CX and email him.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, to ensure nothing offensive is posted we moderate all comments but this is usually done very quickly