Monday 19 October 2015

Teletubbies Return!! Fearne Cotton (voice of a voice trumpet) Interview

Fearne Cotton is being the voice of a Voice Trumpet in the new Teletubbies and we caught up with her late last week and she told us all about being part of a returning phenomenon

How does it feel to be back doing kids’ TV?
It's really nice to be back doing children's TV. First time round I was a kid, now I'm a mum, I understand the language of kids' TV and how you talk to younger children. I watch a lot of kids' TV, probably more than I ever have, so I feel like this is the best time I probably could have done a show like this.

Which TV shows did you watch when you were growing up?
Being a kid of the '80s, there were some big shows like Button Moon, which I loved. A bit of Rainbow as well. A bit later on, stuff like Art Attack, anything that you could get involved with. I think we were quite lucky, because kids' TV started to get really good in the '80s, and it's just got better and better. Button Moon's got to be my favourite though.

What made you want to be one of the voices on the new Teletubbies?
Weirdly, I’ve always wanted to do a voice for something, whether it be a cartoon or a kids' show. I think it seems like the ultimate fun thing to do, and because I do radio, which is the power of using your voice and the words you're saying, I get a bit of a nerdy kick out of that. That's the sort of thing that I feel really comfortable doing, so this is a complete dream. I think being a mum is an added bonus because I watch a lot of kids' TV, and it'll be wonderful to see my own children watching something that I've been a part of for the first time. Everything about it was an instant decision. There was no deliberation period. It was like, 'Do you want to do it?' 'Yes.' Done.

How do you think your children will react to hearing you on Teletubbies?
I'm not sure how the kids will take to hearing me on a show that they're watching. I think for my stepchildren, who are a bit older, it'll just be hilarious, and they will just think it’s the funniest thing ever. I think for my son, who's just over two, and for the new baby watching, I'll have to explain it, and they probably won't believe me for a little while, until they're old enough to go, 'Was that really you doing the Teletubbies?' I will really enjoy being part of that, and I think it's a real landmark moment for me. It's really exciting and it is a new chapter for me, work-wise, and a new chapter in my life as well, so it all definitely fits.

Are you excited to be part of such a global phenomenon?
It's so exciting being part of something this big! It was at the forefront of kids' TV, and I imagine that this will be exactly the same. The fact it’s an international brand and reaches children from all parts of the globe is so exciting. I've never been part of anything that's been that big globally, so I'm thrilled.

How have people reacted to you featuring in Teletubbies?
Some people are massively excited – myself included - and think it's the coolest thing that I've done. Then some are puzzled, going from doing Radio 1 straight into Teletubbies is quite different ends of the extreme, but for me it's the perfect match where I'm at in life, and being a mum. I've always wanted to voice an animation or a cartoon or a kids' show, so it ticks all the boxes for me. My favourite reaction was my stepdaughter who is just like, 'Why are you doing that?' I think when she watches it, she's going to think it is brilliant and love it, and love the cute factor and the whole concept of it. I think she's finding it quite weird that her step-mum is going to be on Teletubbies. It's freaking her out slightly.

How do you prepare for a role like this?
I think I'm pretty well rehearsed for this role, just in life in general, because I spend so many hours of my day watching kids' TV. You end up watching it in a different realm to the way that your kids are watching it. They're just enjoying the vibrant colours and stimulation of the show. I'm watching it from a TV perspective and thinking, 'Who's voiced that bit, and why have they done that? Oh, that's good, that's clever. So I feel quite well-prepared in that way, and also doing a lot of radio, you get used to your voice being the only thing in existence for people to grab hold of. You can't rely on facial expressions or your physical side. It's all about the voice, so that's something I have to think about every single morning of my working life.

What can viewers expect from the new series of Teletubbies?
I think viewers are going to go absolutely crazy for new Teletubbies. Obviously historically it's an iconic brand; people know it and love it, so you're going to get exactly what you want from Teletubbies, but 2015-style. I think the brilliant thing about Teletubbies is it's instantly so visually gorgeous. The colours are there, the characters are very animated, and it's all about play. It's all about getting involved in play and having that interactive element. So there's going to be some brilliant new surprises, like the Tubby Custard Ride, which will be chaotic and fun for kids to watch, lots of custard going everywhere, and also the Tubby Phone.

What do you voice in in the new Teletubbies?
I'll be voicing a number of the Voice Trumpets that pop up during the show, to encourage the Teletubbies to play. There are lots of nice surprises and lots of things arrive in Teletubbyland, one of them being a magical envelope which has a voice, and that voice is me.

Who’s your favourite Teletubby?
I'd probably go with Po. Po's the cutest, right? Actually, you know what's funny? When I first got my cat twelve years ago from an animal sanctuary she was called Tinky Winky! Because I worked in kids' TV, I was like, 'This cannot stick around,' so I changed her name to Tallulah. It might be time to call her Tinky Winky again and reverse the name process, if she doesn't mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, to ensure nothing offensive is posted we moderate all comments but this is usually done very quickly